In alignment with the course outcome “Discover the importance of self-examination as a means of improving relationships with others,” the purpose of this assignment is to:
Write a 3 to 4 page paper (850 to 1000 word) discussing the following:
Follow the marking rubric to ensure you meet the assignment requirements.
Follow the steps in this guide to complete your assignment.
Get help with researching, APA citing, and writing through the Library and Learning Curve.
By the end of this section, students will be able to
1. Log into NoodleTools to start a reference list and add your textbook.
2. Using your textbook, define the term cultural competency. The definition must be in your own words.
Complete the paraphrasing tutorial below. This will help you write your definition.
1. What is culture and why is it important?
2. Why should healthcare providers be trained in cultural competency? Discuss the importance of adjusting one’s approach to align with the needs of the client.
3. What are examples of good workplace practices that promote respect for diversity and enhance the cultural competency of healthcare providers?
Review the assignment questions in preparation for finding supporting resources (e.g. articles, books, credible websites, etc.) for your answers.
For each question:
Turn each question into an answer. For example, "Culture is defined as..."; "It (culture) is important because..."
Keeping the three assignment questions in mind, find credible sources that will support your answers.
1. Complete the Evaluating Information tutorial and read through the evaluating information tips linked below. These will help you determine what are credible sources.
3. Using your keywords and the databases below, find articles that discuss your topics.
You can also look for information using your keywords in a search engine (e.g. Google). Remember to apply the skills you learned in the Evaluating Information and Identifying Keywords tutorials.
EBSCOhost is a great place to start your search for articles. Type your keywords into the search box below.
ScienceDirect is another great place to search for articles.
PubMed Central is a great place to search for articles related to health care and medicine.
The Directory of Open Access Journals is another place to search for articles.
Books and videos available in the Assiniboine Library are another great source of information. Enter your search terms in the search box below to see what's available in the library.
Sometimes the ACC Library might not have books related to your topic, but don't worry, you might find related books at the Brandon University (BU) library! You can borrow books from the BU library - simply go to the BU library with your ACC Student Card and register at the front desk.
1. Log into NoodleTools and add to your reference list the sources you plan to use in your paper.
How to Cite a Webpage in NoodleTools
How to Cite an EBSCOhost Journal Article in NoodleTools
1. Use the Sample Outline (found below the Creating and Using Outlines tutorial video) to create an outline for your paper.
a. You can create an outline in NoodleTools using the Notecards feature and even copy and paste the Sample Outline points into it! Watch the Notecards and Outline tutorials found below the Sample Outline.
b. Or use the Planning the Essay handout.
Tutorial: Creating and Using Outlines
1. Write a 3 to 4 page (850 to 1000 word) paper, using your work from the previous steps, to answer the assignment questions.
For help with your writing, look at the tips, links, and tutorials on the following guides: